CASE STUDY #1: Spg820
The customer had a quote for a nonstandard special milling cutter with a 1.100 IC insert, delivered in 14–18 weeks from an international source.
Knight ran the numbers and found that a .950 IC depth of cut would work, easily accomplished with a readily available 1-inch IC insert.
- Test inserts were delivered in just 5 weeks
- Cost was reduced by 30%
- The tool was a success and follow-up order has already been placed.
CASE STUDY #2: Poly V
After repeated delays from their usual supplier, this customer was looking at a 12-week lead time for urgently needed inserts. Their search for a new source led them to Knight Carbide.
Knight was able to fulfill the order in our standard 7-week lead time. Plus, we were able to expedite the first 100 pieces in just 4 weeks.
- Knight was able to deliver in less than half the time quoted by the original supplier.
- Plus, our quality was far superior–insert teeth profile rejections went from 35% on average for the previous supplier to ZERO rejections of Knight Carbide inserts.
- Tool life increased 25% with Knight Carbide inserts over those of the previous supplier.
- Within two weeks of shipping the first order, the customer had placed a repeat order, plus orders for two more products.
CASE STUDY #3: Spline Insert
A special spline tool insert by a major tool manufacturer was to be discontinued after 12 years, leaving the customer in the lurch.
Starting with the insert they used the most, Knight re-engineered the production process to be faster and more efficient.
- Cost reduced by 15%
- Tool life increased by 20%
- Customer eliminated 1 tool change from production process
- Customer switched other styles to Knight Carbide inserts
CASE STUDY #4: Delayed Specials
A large production plant had used over 20 different specials from a major tool producer over the past two decades, but delays were becoming a problem.
Knight was able to produce and deliver the first detail in 4 weeks for a key distributor partner.
- Knight has become the preferred supplier.
- Multiple orders for each insert have resulted in 15 details produced so far.
CASE STUDY #5: Special Milling Tools and Inserts
A customer requested full design of milling tools and inserts to machine specialty valves for their products.
From the customer-provided part print, Knight was able to design a special cutter and inserts to create the required geometry.
- Orders have been received for 3 different tools for one size part and another order for the next size up.
- Potential for 100-plus tools over the course of the project
CASE STUDY #6: Special Top Notch Inserts
Long deliveries on special top-notch inserts.
Having semi-finished inventory and being set up for a made-to-order process, Knight was able to expedite the special insert from on-hand standards.
- Quick turnaround resulted in multiple orders.